Skip to main content

Here we go

I can't believe that I'm doing this.  I'm blogging.

I'm a pretty private person.  For instance, when I worked at Blockbuster Video in 1995 I was 18 years old and refused to pick my favorite movies for a row of "Jean's Picks".  I simply didn't want people knowing my favorite movies.  At that time, as is true with most teenagers, I was more self-conscious than I am now.  

Now I'm going to air out all of my dirty laundry.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Grief of 2020

It's grief, they say, this anxious ache, You miss the things you used to take For granted. Kids at school, recess at play. You in the office, day after day. Barbecues, weddings, party tents. The world when it used to make sense. The new world has too many rules. Stay at home; don't go to school. Social distance, mask your face; Pray for mercy and a little grace. Miss the hugs, the getting and giving. Keep your old among the living.

Migraine

no sound no light they hurt my head I hurt I ache I take my meds no laughs  no romance  in this bed I moan I groan my husband said and yet  it's all inside my head

What I wish I'd known about my rare diagnosis

  I have a benign brain tumor which is called an acoustic neuroma, or vestibular schwannoma if you want to be fancy. It's a rare tumor.   One person in 100,000 will be diagnosed with an acoustic neuroma in any given year.   Picture the biggest college football stadium in the US.   See all those people?   Just will be the unlucky one diagnosed with an acoustic neuroma. It was 2010 when I was diagnosed and I was thirty-three years old.  I had been so sick - incredibly fatigued, lightheaded with painful headaches and pressure in my head - that I was happy to have found a reason for my suffering.  The only problem is that while we found something that definitely needed treatment, the tumor was not making me sick.  Then neurosurgeons told me that my symptoms were not caused by the acoustic neuroma.  They said the only symptoms usually caused by an acoustic neuroma are loss of hearing and dizziness.  Wanting to believe that we had discover...